CROSS CURRICULAR EDUCATION
Inviting Laura's House into your middle and high school classroom can increase the student's awareness of adolescent dating abuse. Allow students to challenge peers and increase knowledge of services available for victims.
Subjects that can integrate a dating abuse education through our free, interactive H.E.A.R.T (Healthy Emotions & Attitudes in Relationships Today) program:
- Health - As students are presented with all aspects of health, the H.E.A.R.T. program can teach about healthy vs. unhealthy relationships.
- Language Arts - Characters in literature must overcome conflicts or manage difficult situations, students too can learn how to develop healthy relationships. The H.E.A.R.T. presentation can also provide essay writing and journaling opportunities.
- Physical Education - physical ed can offer unique opportunities for integrating dating abuse education. Following rules, health goals, personal responsibility and the idea of respecting others are concepts taught during P.E. and can be examined during a H.E.A.R.T. presentation.
- Math - while students gain the ability to reason logically the H.E.A.R.T. program can initiate mathematical activities. Students can calculate and graph health care costs resulting from domestic violence and research data and statistics.
- History - Examination of a culture encourages students to develop respect for others. The H.E.A.R.T. program offers lessons that support the idea of concern for the physical health of others. The role of civic responsibility, advocacy and the development of dating violence laws can be included.
- Art: Visual/Performing - Visual & performing arts classes can offer the H.E.A.R.T. program to students as a unique way to explore dating issues. Adolescents can study the history and the influence of the arts on our society. Students can be challenged to create posters about healthy relationships and produce a play about adolescent dating abuse. They can express ideas about healthy relationships through painting, music, sculpture or dance.