Useful sites, current news, and stories
We are regularly on the web researching useful sites, current news, and stories about victims and survivors of Domestic Violence.
When we find a great site we will share it here. Do you have a site or story you would like to share? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to share!
- Are you or someone you know in a destructive relationship? Talk with Dr. Jill Murray, the author of "But He Never Hit Me", "But I love Him", and "Destructive Relationships".
- Dr. Jill Murray's Resource Page
- The story of Caroline Thomas who was shot in the face by her boyfriend.
- The story of Connie Culp who received a facial transplant after being shot by her husband.
- A Thin Line, sponsored by MTV, facts about constant text messaging.
- Love is RespectTeen Dating Abuse facts.
- Domestic Violence in GLBT Couples
- The Hideout, a virtual space to help children and young people understand Domestic Violence and how to take positive action if it is happening to you.
- Information on Elder Abuse
- Mankind, a resource for men in abusive relationships.
- National Coalition Against Domestic Abuse, agency providing over 25 years of activism.
If You Need Immediate Help, Call:
Laura's House, 24-Hour Crisis Hotline: (866) 498-1511
National Domestic Violence Hotline: (800) 799-SAFE (7233)
Childhelp National Abuse Hotline: (800) 4-A-CHILD
Orange County Child Protective Services: (714) 940-1000
California Youth Crisis Line: (800) 843-5200
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: (800)-273-TALK (8255) or (888) 628-9454 * Espanol
Orange County Mental Health: (949) 638-8277
Adult Protective Services (elder abuse) (800) 451-5155
Orange County Social Services: (714) 541-7700
Rape Crisis Hotline:
N. Orange County - (714) 957-2737
S. Orange County - (949) 831-9110
Homeless Referrals: Info Link - (888) 305-7233
If You Have Questions/Concerns About Your Relationship, Contact Laura's House
24-Hour Crisis Hotline: (866) 498-1511
Counseling and Resource Center: (949) 361-3775
- Or the -
Family Resource Center: (949) 364-0500
If Your Are in Need Of Legal Assistance:
- Laura's House Counseling and Resource Center: 949-361-3775
- The Laura's House Legal Department, in collaboration with the Orange County Bar Association, hosts a monthly legal clinic every fourth Tuesday of every month. Clients have an opportunity to speak to an attorney for 30 minutes; free of charge. A prior appointment is required. For more information, please call (949)361-3775 to schedule an appointment.
- Legal Aid: (800) 834-5001
What is Upscale Violence?
Upscale violence, a term coined by Dr. Susan Weitzman, is applied to women who have endured/ are enduring multiple or continued episodes of emotional ...Read the full article here
Relationship Violence: The Secret That Kills 4 Women a Day
He "threatened me, "strangled me with a PlayStation cord," "lunged at me with a pocketknife." A horror movie? No, real life for far too many young women...Read the full article here
Dr. Walker's Cycle of Violence
The theory of the cycle of violence was developed by Dr. Lenore Walker. It has three distinct phases which are generally present in a violent relationship...Read the full article here